Sciatica is pain that is caused by irritating the sciatic nerve. When irritated, this nerve causes pain that ranges from mild to severe. As this pain is usually experienced in the lower regions of the spine, most people suffering from it tend to dismiss it as general back pain. It is important to note that this nerve runs from the lower back to the legs. It ends just below the knee making it the longest and widest nerve in the body.
- Patients seem to exhibit pain between the lower back and the knee (along the sciatic nerve)
- Loss of feeling (Numbness)
- Tingling sensation especially in the feet and toes
This form of treatment should be considered as a last resort. If the symptoms reject all other treatments and its effects intensify, you can undergo surgery.
By undertaking your physical therapy at Parsippany Physical Therapy you will be exposed to different pain management options that should make sciatica bearable. Our center offers two forms of effective treatment for sciatica. They are; active treatment and passive treatment.
Our physical therapistswill put you through aerobic exercise, strength training, and stretching routines. These treatments will help you cope with any pain caused by movement.
These passive treatments are believed to help in the successful treatment of sciatica. Physical therapists in Parsippany, NJ will massage the affected area and put you through Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.
The physical therapy regimen at Parsippany Physical Therapy will also need you to undertake the following exercises:
- Aerobics– under the guidance of your physical therapist, this form of exercise releases natural pain-relieving hormones into your body.
- Strength Training – this will help you avoid future injuries and creating proper posture.
Visit our center for the best sciatica care and more information on the same.